Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Reflecting on my role with GYPA

Brooke Jordan, a participant on this past January's Global Kimeeza II asked me to write a bit about what I am doing with GYPA, why I am doing it, what inspires me etc. It turned into a bit of a journal (or blog) entry. Since anyone who reads this is reading it because they are intersted in what I'm doing, what my thoughts are... I thought I'd share it here as well...


I have always been devoted to issues in Africa – development, health, peace & conflict resolution. When I was young I was inexplicably intrigued by all things Africa. Four years ago I took my first trip to the continent and there was no turning back after that. I caught “the Africa bug”, which seems to spread to most people who go to Africa, it enters their blood, changes who they are and the way they think about life, and from that point on they will always have the restless yearning that eventually lands them back on the continent.

My studies and my career aspirations have been and continue to be largely geared around grassroots development. I still have not figured out exactly where my passion and skills fit into the international development/public health/conflict resolution spheres, but I have figured out an important role that I can play while I try to sort out the rest. In my personal experience, my first trip to Africa, my first real exposure to the reality on the ground, was the catalyst for every action I have taken since that time. I gained connections, insight, and inspiration that have been a driving force in my life.

Through working for the Global Youth Partnership for Africa (GYPA), I have been able to offer the option of such an experience to other youth. GYPA trips have the ultimate purpose of cultivating globally conscious youth – a generation that is informed, aware, and connected to one another. We offer exposure to the issues and realities on the ground in African countries (Uganda, Sierra Leone, and soon Cameroon). By connecting American and African youth to each other, government leaders, NGO leaders, academics and activists, GYPA creates a network that serves and will continue to serve as a platform for effective communication, sharing of knowledge and resources, and the creation of new opportunities.

In January I lead my first trip to Uganda. The theme of the program was “The Role of Youth in Post-Conflict Northern Uganda”. We had 13 American participants and 26 Ugandans (from Kampala and Gulu). Watching the participants interact, share and learn from one another was well worth all of the hard work that went into the program’s creation. I was able to watch as many of the American participants caught the “Africa Bug” that I caught 4 years ago. It’s like watching lights go on in someone’s eyes – when they suddenly discover parts of themselves and parts of the world that they never knew existed and they see a role that they can play – a purpose.

There are two potential levels of impact that occur as a result of GYPA trips. The first is the immediate, personal transformation – the process of catching what I’ve been calling the Africa Bug. Whether it is apparent at the time or not, every participant’s perception of the world changes - shifts in some way, shape, or form and for most, this shift is life changing.

The second level of impact can be seen in what happens after the trip. Personal transformation has led our participants to do incredible things with their time and energy – with their lives. The majority of GYPA alumni have become advocates and activists for Africa. Many maintain the connections that they made while on the trip and join together to fundraise, create projects, movements etc. An amazing number go back to Africa, either the country we brought them to or to another place. The ripple effects of the initial GYPA experience is proof that GYPA staff and alumni are creating a new and important network of globally conscious citizens.

Being able to devote my time to facilitate or support that cataclysmic experience or moment that transforms an individual from someone curious about Africa, curious about their own self-potential, into a dedicated and passionate advocate for a more just world with a greater sense of who they are and what they believe in, is a great privilege. I remember how I felt the first time I boarded a plane leaving Africa to return to the United States – how I felt like I was leaving a big part of myself behind. I know that that moment greatly defines who I am. Being involved with GYPA allows me to witness others experience that moment and then wait with great anticipation to hear about the incredible things those people do with their lives and the invaluable impact that they have on the lives of others.

1 comment:

abdi said...

Good responces to the questions. You are the kind of energy the world needs to keep going forword you are the kind of people who can bring hope to the world and those who surfers inocencily.Your words can inspare people like me to want do the same, specialy since I have gone througth some of the things the kids in Uganda face today. I can feel the pain from here. I think it is time for the world and the people involved in this to ask them selves what made you want help their children not yours.Abdi Abrahim