Thursday, April 30, 2009

kspencer not in Africa


In the past whenever I have had the freedom to choose where to go I have almost always found a way to choose Africa (hence the title of my blog). When December 5th arrived and I had 8 months of freedom ahead of me with the world as my limit, Africa was, for the first time in my life, not on my immediate agenda. After a month of visiting and spending time with family and friends who I hadn't seen in awhile Halle met me in Minnesota for the long, snowy drive out to Colorado. My next step was a condensed version of the ski bum year I had always wanted. Beaver Creek, Vail, Alta, and back country skiing in British Columbia - my first next step was, without a doubt, the perfect one. I didn't and don't always have to go to far off places to travel somewhere new inside myself. 

On January 6, 2009 I wrote:

I wake up with daylight, close my eyes, and try to find that quiet place inside myself. I read a poem from "The House of Belonging" and cook in good company. I spend time washing my face - appreciating the softness and accepting my reflection. I sit, I read, and admittedly I type, but only for good conversation. I snowshoe up to ski, sip coffee, and snowshoe home. I cook again, light a fire, read, and practice headstands. When my eyes feel heavy I go to bed - one hand on my heart and the other on my naval. In my head I say "release" and I let go. Tomorrow is a new beginning and that is all that matters. 

No comments: